Monday, April 28, 2008

Thank God for Mothers

By: Nathan Osmond

“The sweetest sounds to mortals given, are heard in Mother, Home and Heaven”

-- William Goldsmith Brown

Abraham Lincoln once said, “All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel Mother.” It has always been cool to express one’s love to that special woman who gave you life. Have you ever noticed that when the camera is aimed at big burly professional athletes, the very first person they send a shout out to is typically who? That’s right! Their mothers!!! Who is that special woman in your life? Is she still around or has she moved on? What memories do you cherish most of the one you called mother? Have you called her up lately to tell her how much you love her? Would you if you could?

This past week, my wife has been down in Florida visiting relatives. Due to her absence, I have been forced to take on the role of “Mr. Mom.” Remember watching that classic movie starring Michael Keaton where he played the role of Mr. Mom? Yeah, that’s been me this entire week! I can now appreciate the song that my buddies from Country group, Lonestar sing, “It’s Only Monday Mr. Mom!” As I’ve changed the dirty diapers, fixed the meals, cleaned the house, mopped up throw-up in the car, washed the clothes, taken my kids to church, consoled sick babies, and managed to keep my day job by working from home, I have come to realize just how special these ladies we call mothers are. Now, I’m not saying that any of these roles pertain solely to mothers. I have just gained a huge appreciation for what my wife does day in and day out! I have also learned to appreciate all that my mother did raising 8 boys. Being a mother is a full-time job! I guess that’s why Jane Sellman said, “The phrase ‘working mother’ is redundant.”

My sweet mother gave an amazing talk to an association called, American Mothers, regarding the joys of being a mother. You should view sometime. (go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFtL_m48wQ). I think she very well depicts how rewarding it is to carry that title.

Milton Berle once asked, “If evolution really works, then why do mothers only have two hands?” Multi-tasking is an art that I am still in awe of. It seems that mothers are blessed with that unique ability or at least pick it up pretty fast. Any mother could perform the jobs of several air traffic controllers with ease! I guess that’s why the Golden Girls said, “It’s not easy being a mother. If it were easy, fathers would do it.”

Another attribute that I have found that most mothers have in common is their never-ending love for their children. Washington Irving once said, “A father may turn his back on his child, brothers and sisters may become inveterate enemies, husbands may desert their wives, wives their husbands. But a mother’s love endures through all.

I wish to express my love to my mother and to let her know just how thankful I am to her for all that she’s done for me and continues to do for me. I also wish to thank my beautiful wife for being the best mother I could’ve ever picked-out for my children. And believe you me---I spent a long time looking for her! She is the inspiration for all of my love songs.

As we approach Mother’s Day this coming month, it is my prayer that we will reach out and express the love that we feel in our hearts to our mothers. I am caused to reflect upon the words of an old barbershop song my brothers and I use to sing. It goes like this:

I wouldn’t trade the silver in my mother’s hair

For all the gold in the world
The hands that rocked my cradle
Through all my baby days
Are treasures from the sky
That money cannot buy

God gave us mothers
And tried to be fair
When He gave me mine
I got more than my share
I wouldn’t trade the silver in my mother’s hair
For all the gold in the world.

Thank God for Mothers!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nathan, thank you for another great post and for reminding us all just how special our mothers are. I am honored to have personally met your mother Suzanne a few years ago in Branson Missouri. I gave a Sacrament talk a few years ago entitled My Mother Knew It which you can read when you get a chance. Thanks again and God bless.

Leen Bean said...

You're so right about saying thank God for mothers. My mom almost choked to death right in front of my eyes a few months ago. Fortunately, my dad was there to jump in & give her the hymlic manuver & he saved her life. This is a perfect example of why I say, God bless all parents of all generations out there.